Friday, November 16, 2007

Hank Arron

On April 8, 1974 I was a big 4 going on an even bigger 5. That day could have been as innocuous as lets say March 2, 1982. But what made that April 8th awesome was the fact Hank Arron broke Babe Ruth’s record. An Alabamian broke the longstanding record. I was shocked to see my mild mannered grand father laugh and jump for joy like he broke the record himself. I didn’t understand what the hype was all about but 34 years later I understand…I understand.
Hank Arron will always be the first to break Babes record. He will remain the all time home run king in my book. Barry Bonds on the other hand achieved a goal by surpassing Hank but he did it on juice, plain and simple. The media storm that surrounded Hank Arron never doubted his natural ability, modesty and love for the game. The media storm that surrounds Barry Bonds is ensuring his new set record becomes a minuscule footnote in baseball history.
I believe however, that Bonds was setup and in my book that was wrong. I believe the investigators and prosecutors should have issued indictments before that fateful game, regardless of how bad the owners and fans wanted Barry break the record. You just don’t build a case against someone and let it marinade until the hype has died down. That to me is just retarded and it appears retardation is contagious.


~Vale~

No comments: