Since tropical depression number 4 has shed his number and evolved into a tropical storm Dean, it is safe to say he will further evolve into Hurricane Dean. The bathtub warm water of the Gulf will make this very possible. I try hard not to be the manic harbinger of doom, but after the tremendous devastation I’ve personally witnessed along the Gulf Coast I felt that a hurricane survival strategy should be made ready now and not when Hurricane Dean is making landfall. So here are some helpful tips:
1. Plan your escape route from the storm.
2. Keep a full tank of gas, a working spare, a usable jack, radiator fluid and motor oil.
3. Have waterproof tarps, duct tape and trash bags on the ready.
4. Find a cheap battery powered radio. Most local radio stations give updates as to storm direction, road closures, detours, as well as shelter information. Not bad for a cheap radio huh?
5. Have non-perishable foods and food that can be eaten cold i.e., Vienna Sausages, mixed vegetables, Spam, beef jerky, granola bars (caution granola will cause o ring blow-out if you don’t drink enough water), energy bars, as well as sweets.
6. Make sure you have 12 bottles of 16oz or 20oz of water per person for at least 3 days.
7. Hand sanitizer, spray disinfectant and baby wipes…lots and lots of baby wipes.
8. Protect your important documents, waterproof your picture albums, and back up all your computer files on discs.
9. Know that the call to evacuate is not a drill. Your promptness to react or lack thereof will be the difference between a cot in a shelter or a slab in the morgue.
10. Keep copies of your prescriptions, important addresses, personal identification and make sure you purchase a calling card (cell phone networks can be overloaded).