Monday, June 15, 2020

Privilege Immunity


Healthcare is a fluid science that is based upon evidence. As one learns how disease manifests itself the disease is studied, and the best approach is used to treat patients.

 

We have social determinants of health. Or factors that cause you to be more or less susceptible to illness, injury, or disease. We have known risk factors that predispose a patient to chronic illnesses. We understand the factors that improve your health. Simply put. Healthcare understands the human body and its response to disease.

 

There are known pathways to sudden death and known pathways to a long arduous death. Either way, healthcare is aware of the things that make people sick. However. Knowing that are social determinates, comorbidities, risk factors, and an entire profession dedicated to improving health.

 

 I have never heard of “Privilege Immunity.”

 

Let me explain.

 

Standing in the middle of an emergency room with Covid-19 patients surrounding us. A coworker opened their mouth and uttered that they will not get coronavirus because they not in that “group.”

 

I dare not open that can of worms but hey how does one fish for information. So, I asked through my mask,

 

“What group is that?”

 

Their response was, “Preexisting conditions. You see that this virus only affects certain populations of people.”

 

If I wasn’t wearing a mask, my mouth would have fallen wide open. I don’t react to much but that by far was the most idiotic statement of the year. After all, we had patients who were very much in my coworker's age group, social background, gender, income level, and race. And many of those patients tested positive for the coronavirus. Some of those patients were admitted and some were not. But the fact remains they were not immune. And according to research, there is no current immunity to this virus. And being a dick doesn’t make you immune either.

 

I consider this coworker a super spreader of toxic information. If they believe that their privilege and income prevent them from getting the Rona. I’m sure they’ve spread this crap on Facebook or some other social media site. Where people are like “Yeah, this nurse is right. I’m too important to catch this bug.” And decide not to wear a mask in public, stand too close in stores, tongue kiss random people on the street, and rub their eyes with unwashed hands. And boom we are all under stay at home orders again.

 

 

 

And I hate f*cking staying at home.

 

Vale

No comments: