Sunday, June 22, 2008
12 Things Paramedics Know
If you want to know what the quality of life means ask someone who has a couple of months to live. They will give you an unabashed and guilt-free answer to what it means to be alive. Because with every breath they take they have one less to give. EMS is composed of people with that quality of life mentality. Paramedics and EMT’s are professionals who have a stark look at life. Because there is nothing more eye opening than seeing some one who is tip-top shape, perfect physique, low cholesterol and awesome blood pressure get killed by a bus filled with fat people and their greasy fast food bags. So here are the ten things Paramedics know, but won’t tell you willingly.
12. Life is more precious than you can ever imagine.
11. The quality of life is inherently more important that the quantity of life.
10. Darwin was right, natural selection does work. Because the addict that abuses Meth, Cocaine or Oxycotin eventually exits the gene pool with a startled expression on their faces.
9. Dead people sometimes have startled expressions on their faces.
8. There is a 1:1 chance that you will die, period.
7. Our elderly citizens are our greatest resources.
6. Marijuana smokers started as cigarette smokers first.
5. Properly fitted seatbelts save lives, airbags work and will sometimes break your nose but neither matter if you are thrown out of the car.
4. Respite for the caretaker is just as important as taking care of a loved one.
3. Addicted crack smokers will qualify for disability faster than the person who has worked all their lives and really needs it.
2. The bottom graduating medical student in a graduating class is still called, “Doctor.”
1. Not all hospitals are created equal.